lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Optimize and replication: some questions battery.
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2014 17:00:52 GMT

: I've got an scenario where I index very frequently on master servers and
: replicate to slave servers with one minute polling. Master indexes are
: growing fast and I would like to optimize indexes to improve search
: queries. However...

For a scenerio where your index is changing that rapidly, you don't wnat
to use the optimize command at all -- it's not going to improve the
performance of anything...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceFactors#Optimization_Considerations

You may want to optimize an index in certain situations -- ie: if you
build your index once, and then never modify it.

If you have a rapidly changing index, rather than optimizing, you likely
simply want to use a lower merge factor. Optimizing is very expensive, and
if the index is constantly changing, the slight performance boost will not
last long. The tradeoff is not often worth it for a non static index.

In a master slave setup, sometimes you may also want to optimize on the
master so that slaves serve from a single segment index. This will can
greatly increase the time to replicate the index though, so this is often
not desirable either.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/