lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Petersen, Robert" <robert.peter...@mail.rakuten.com>
Subject RE: Searching with special chars
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:04:30 GMT
I agree with Erick, but if you want the special characters to count in searches, you might
consider not just stripping them out but replacing them with textual placeholders (which would
also have to be done at indexing time).  For instance, I replace C# with csharp and C++ with
cplusplus during indexing and during searching before passing them along to my solr layer.

Hope that helps,
Robi

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:45 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Searching with special chars

Good luck! You'll need it.

Problem is this is such a sticky wicket. You can move the cleaning up to the PHP layer, that
is strip out the parens.

You could write a Solr component that got the query _very_ early and transformed it. You'd
have to get here before parsing.

Either way, though, you'll be endlessly trying to second-guess the query parsing and/or intent
of the user.

I'd recommend the PHP layer if anything, it's closer to the user and you may have a better
chance to guess right.

Best,
Erick