lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Range queries with Grouping is slow?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2014 04:34:20 GMT
Kranti,

I can't speak to the specific slow-down while grouping, but if you expect to run [* TO *]
queries with any frequency then you should index a boolean flag and query for that instead.
 You might also reduce the precisionStep value for the field you are using to 6 or even 4.
 But wow that's a big difference you noted; it wouldn't hurt to double-check with the debugger
that the [* TO *] is treated as a numeric range query instead of a generic term range.

~ David
From: Kranti Parisa [kranti.parisa@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 10:26 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Range queries with Grouping is slow?

Is there any known issue with Range queries + grouping?

Case1:
q=id:123&group=true&sort=price
asc&group.field=entityId&group.limit=2&group.ngroups=true

Case2:
q=id:123 AND price:[* TO *]&group=true&sort=price
asc&group.field=entityId&group.limit=2&group.ngroups=true

Index Size:10M/~5GB
After running both queries at least once, I was expecting to hit the query
caches and response should be quick enough, but
Case1: 15-20ms (looks fine)
Case2: 400+ms (this seems constantly >400ms even after the first query)

any thought? if it's a known issue, please point me to the jira link
otherwise I can open an issue if this needs some analysis?

Thanks,
Kranti K. Parisa
http://www.linkedin.com/in/krantiparisa