lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr/Lucene Faceted Search Too Many Unique Values?
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 01:39:00 GMT
A legitimate question that only you can answer is
"what's the value of faceting on fields with so many unique values?"

Consider the ridiculous case of faceting on <uniqueKey>. There's
almost exactly zero value in faceting on it, since all counts will be 1.

By analogy, with millions of tag values, will there ever be more than a very
small count of for any facet? And will showing those be useful to the
user?

They may be, and Yago has a use-case where the answer is "yes". Before
trying to make Solr perform in this insance, though, I'd review the use-case
to see if it makes sense....

Erick