lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr maxIndexingThreads
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:22:04 GMT
On 1/5/2014 11:56 AM, Saumitra Srivastav wrote:
> But what about *maxIndexingThreads* config in solrconfig.xml. Does it apply
> to the the collection or solr instance?
>
> For example, lets say I have two indexing clients with multiple threads,
> each sending docs to 2 different collections.  And maxIndexingThreads is set
> to 8 for both collections. In that case, will maxIndexingThreads be 16 *(for
> one solr instance)*?

Because it's in solrconfig.xml, it applies per Solr core.  You haven't
said whether you're running SolrCloud, where a collection is a specific
kind of entity separate from a core.

A typical collection in a production SolrCloud system usually has at
least one shard and at least two replicas.  If you multiply that out,
you'll usually have at least two cores per collection, and they'll
normally be on separate Solr instances, which will also normally be on
separate hosts.  Ideally you'll make sure they are on separate physical
hardware, even if there's virtualization involved.

If you're not running SolrCloud, then "collection" doesn't have any
specific meaning ... although the core that exists in the main example
is called "collection1" which can lead to a little bit of confusion.

Thanks,
Shawn