lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [OT] Use Cases for Taming Text, 2nd ed.
Date Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:38:12 GMT
Hi Solr Users,

Drew Farris, Tom Morton and I are currently working on the 2nd Edition of Taming Text (http://www.manning.com/ingersoll
for first ed.) and are soliciting interested parties who would be willing to contribute to
a chapter on practical use cases (i.e. you have something in production and are willing to
write about it) for search with Solr, NLP using OpenNLP or Stanford NLP and machine learning
using Mahout, OpenNLP or MALLET -- ideally you are using combinations of 2 or more of these
to solve your problems.  We are especially interested in large scale use cases in eCommerce,
Advertising, social media analytics, fraud, etc.

The writing process is fairly straightforward.  A section roughly equates to somewhere between
3 - 10 pages, including diagrams/pictures.  After writing, there will be some feedback from
editors and us, but otherwise the process is fairly simple.

In order to participate, you must have permission from your company to write on the topic.
 You would not need to divulge any proprietary information, but we would want enough information
for our readers to gain a high-level understanding of your use case.  In exchange for your
participation, you will have your name and company published on that section of the book as
well as in the acknowledgments section.  If you have a copy of Lucene in Action or Mahout
In Action, it would be similar to the use case sections in those books.

If you are interested, please respond privately to me using my gsingers@apache.org email address
with this subject line.

Thanks,
Grant, Drew, Tom