lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alan Woodward <a...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache Curator integration
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:04:22 GMT

On 14 Dec 2013, at 19:58, Mark Miller wrote:

> I’ve looked at it over the years, but honestly, for most things, I don’t think switching
would help much other than rewrite code that has been fairly hardened with fresh code that
is just likely to introduce new bugs.

Well, that's what our comprehensive and robust test suite is for :-)  I see what you mean,
although on the flip side, using a third-party library that's had lots of testing outside
Solr means that it may already pick up corner cases that we haven't run in to.

> Targeted use of it for specific things could make sense, but that’s the type of thing
I think we should look at a JIRA issue at a time.

Unfortunately I think it'd be all-or-nothing, because we'd have to replace SolrZkClient with
CuratorFramework whenever we wanted to use a recipe.

> - Mark
>
> On Dec 14, 2013, at 2:15 PM, Alan Woodward <alan@flax.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Evening all,
>>
>> I discovered the Apache Curator project yesterday (http://curator.apache.org/index.html),
which seems to make interaction with Zookeeper much easier.  What do people think about using
it for SolrCloud?  In particular, the LeaderLatch, Barrier and NodeCache recipes would make
the Overseer and OverseerCollectionProcessor a lot simpler.