lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Sokolov <msoko...@safaribooksonline.com>
Subject Re: Indexing on plain text and binary data in a single HTTP POST request
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2013 04:25:19 GMT
On 12/9/2013 11:13 PM, neerajp wrote:
> Hi,
> Pls. find my response in-line:
>
> That said, the obvious alternative is to use /update/extract instead of
> /update – this gives you a way of handling up to one binary stream in
> addition to any number of fields that can be represented as text. In that
> case, you need to construct a POST request that sends the binary content as
> a file stream, and the other parameters as ordinary form data (actually, it
> may be possible to send some/all of the other fields as url parameters, but
> that does not really simplify things).
>
> [Neeraj]: I thought about this solution but it won't work in my solution as
> there are a lot text fields and size is also very significant. I am looking
> for some other suggestion
>

> --
Assuming that your binary fields are mime attachments to email messages,
they will probably already be encoded as base 64.  Why not just leave
them that way in solr too?  You can't do much with them other than store
them right?  Or do you have some kind of image processing going on?  You
can always decode them in your client when you pull them out.

-Mike