lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Periodic Slowness on Solr Cloud
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:09:55 GMT
On 11/22/2013 10:01 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> You can see how much the max heap is in the Solr admin UI dashboard -
> it'll be the right-most number on the JVM-Memory graph.  On my 64-bit
> linux development machine with 16GB of RAM, it looks like Java
> defaults to a 4GB max heap.  I have the heap size manually set to 7GB
> for Solr on that machine.  The 6GB heap you have mentioned might not
> be enough, or it might be more than you need.  It all depends on the
> kind of queries you are doing and exactly how Solr is configured.

Followup: I would also recommend starting with my garbage collection
settings.  This wiki page is linked on the wiki page I've already given you.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey#GC_Tuning

You might need a script to start Solr.  There is also a redhat-specific
init script on that wiki page.  I haven't included any instructions for
installing it.  Someone who already knows about init scripts won't have
much trouble getting it working on a redhat-derived OS, and someone who
doesn't will need extensive instructions or an install script, neither
of which has been written.

Thanks,
Shawn