lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Extensibility of HttpSolrServer
Date Wed, 20 Nov 2013 22:49:55 GMT
On 11/20/2013 3:28 PM, Eugen Paraschiv wrote:
> The reason I needed access to internal details of the class - and it's not
> just these 2 fields (I used these just as a quick example) - was that I was
> trying to extend the class and overload the request method. As soon as I
> tried to do that, I noticed that I really couldn't easily do so - because
> much of the fields has no getters and were not protected either (as you
> pointed out).
> So - it's not specifically about this to particular fields - it's more
> about the overall extensibility of the class.
> The class is very closed off in terms of the API - so it stands to reason
> that it may be extended for some specific usecases (for example I am trying
> to allow setting custom HTTP Headers on the GET request before sending it)
> - this is mainly why I was asking if it would make sense to try to open it
> up a little and make it more extensible.

That makes perfect sense.  As Mark suggested, please file an issue in
Jira.  We can then figure out on the back end exactly what to do.

What kind of HTTP headers are you wanting to send?  SolrJ should already
send all the headers that Solr requires.  If there's a compelling
general use-case, we might want a Jira issue that makes it possible to
define custom headers for all SolrServer implementations.

Thanks,
Shawn