lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Potter <thelabd...@gmail.com>
Subject Need help understanding the use cases behind core auto-discovery
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:56:07 GMT
Trying to add some information about core.properties and auto-discovery in
Solr in Action and am at a loss for what to tell the reader is the purpose
of this feature.

Can anyone point me to any background information about core
auto-discovery? I'm not interested in the technical implementation details.
Mainly I'm trying to understand the motivation behind having this feature
as it seems unnecessary with the Core Admin API. Best I can tell is it
removes a manual step of firing off a call to the Core Admin API or loading
a core from the Admin UI. If that's it and I'm overthinking it, then cool
but was expecting more of an "ah-ha" moment with this feature ;-)

Any insights you can share are appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim