lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Dmitry Kan <solrexp...@gmail.com>
Subject cold searcher
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:43:24 GMT
Hello!

Can someone please help me understand the comment in solr 4.3.1's
solrconfig.xml:

    <!-- Use Cold Searcher

         If a search request comes in and there is no current
         registered searcher, then immediately register the still
         warming searcher and use it.  If "false" then all requests
         will block until the first searcher is done warming.
      -->
    <useColdSearcher>false</useColdSearcher>

What precisely happens when userColdSearcher is set to true and a request
arrives while a searcher is warming up?

 - Does the state of warming slow down the search performance? Does it
affect on anything else?

  - How does this setting interplay with soft commits? I.e. do soft-commits
warm up searchers too?

Regards,
Dmitry