lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic analizer settings change
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 12:42:54 GMT
Yes, supporting multiple languages will be a performance hit, but maybe it
won't be so bad since all but one of these language-specific fields will be
empty for each document and Lucene text search should handle empty field
values just fine. If you can't accept that performance hit, don't support
multiple languages! It is completely your choice.

There are index-time update processors that can do language detection and
then automatically direct the text to the proper text_xx field.

See:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Detecting+Languages+During+Indexing

Although my e-book has a lot better examples, especially for the field
redirection aspect.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: maephisto
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:33 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Dynamic analizer settings change

Thanks, Erik!

I might have missed mentioning something relevant. When querying Solr, I
wouldn't actually need to query all fields, but only the one corresponding
to the language picked by the user on the website. If he's using DE, then
the search should only apply to the text_de field.

What if I need to work with 50 different languages?
Then I would get a schema with 50 types and 50 fields (text_en, text_fr,
text_de, ...): won't this affect the performance ? bigger documents ->
slower queries.