lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Soft commit and flush
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2013 19:56:37 GMT
On 9/24/2013 5:51 AM, adfel70 wrote:
> My conclusion is that soft commit always flushes the data, but because of
> the implementation of NRTCachingDirectoryFactory, the data will be written
> to the disk when its getting too big.

The NRTCachingDirectoryFactory (which creates NRTCachingDirectory
instances) used by default in newer Solr versions has default settings
for some of its parameters that show up in the solr log:

maxCacheMB=48.0 maxMergeSizeMB=4.0

The constructor javadocs for NRTCachingDirectory show what circumstances
will cause the directory to use RAM instead of flushing to disk:

http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_4_0/core/org/apache/lucene/store/NRTCachingDirectory.html#NRTCachingDirectory%28org.apache.lucene.store.Directory,%20double,%20double%29

"We will cache a newly created output if 1) it's a flush or a merge and
the estimated size of the merged segment is <= maxMergeSizeMB, and 2)
the total cached bytes is <= maxCachedMB"

Thanks,
Shawn