lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Delaney <mickdela...@gmail.com>
Subject Storing A Taxonomy In A Separate Core For Query Expansion
Date Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:52:13 GMT
Hi Guys,

Our application contains two data sets:

- Items
- Item taxonomy

What i'm trying to do is allow our admin team to maintain a taxonomy which
allows for items to be found easier.

For example:

if someone searched for 'dog', and the taxonomy contained 'Spaniel' as
a  narrower form of dog,
then the search of the items core would return documents with Spaniel in
the results, but lower in score.

I've read this:
http://nolanlawson.com/2012/10/31/better-synonym-handling-in-solr/

- Here the author outlines how to handle this in a query parser, but he's
focused on synonyms.

- I'm trying to make it more general purpose, for example I mentioned
narrower, there'll also be 'same as' type relations too.

Anyways in the article above he uses the synonym file, what I'm trying to
understand is:

- Can I use another Core to store my taxonomy
   - In a qparser or somewhere in the pipeline, examine my query
   - Expand the terms based on the taxonomy (search it & find any related
terms)
   - Then use the expanded query to return the results

I've also read this article here:
http://java.dzone.com/articles/connecting-redis-solr-boosting

- This explains how to use a custom function query connecting to redis to
affect the scoring of a document.

- It seems straight forward etc, but could the same result be achieved by
keeping
the referenced data not in redis but in another SOLR core???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards