lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jason Hellman <jhell...@innoventsolutions.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud Set up
Date Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:58:12 GMT
One additional thought here:  from a paranoid risk-management perspective it's not a good idea
to have two critical services dependent upon a single point of failure if the hardware fails.
 Obviously risk-management is suited to taste, so you may feel the cost/benefit does not merit
the separation.  But it's good to make that decision consciously…you'd hate to have to justify
a failure here after-the-fact as something overlooked :)

On Aug 30, 2013, at 9:40 AM, Shawn Heisey <solr@elyograg.org> wrote:

> On 8/30/2013 9:43 AM, Jared Griffith wrote:
>> One last thing.  Is there any real benefit in running SolrCloud and
>> Zookeeper separate?   I am seeing some funkiness with the separation of the
>> two, funkiness I wasn't seeing when running SolrCloud + Zookeeper together
>> as outlined in the Wiki.
>
> For a robust install, you want zookeeper to be a separate process.  It can run on the
same server as Solr, but the embedded zookeeper (-DzkRun) should not be used except for dev
and proof of concept work.

> The reason is simple.  Zookeeper is the central coordinator for SolrCloud.  In order
for it to remain stable, it should not be restarted without good reason.  If you are running
zookeeper as part of Solr, then you will be affecting zookeeper operation anytime you restart
that instance of Solr.

> Making changes to your Solr setup often requires that you restart Solr.  This includes
upgrading Solr and changing some aspects of its configuration.  Some configuration aspects
can be changed with just a collection reload, but others require a full application restart.