lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: apache tomcat 7 doesn't deploy tomcat 4.4
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:00:54 GMT
On 8/29/2013 9:45 AM, Carmine Paternoster wrote:
> Hi, this is my problem:
> I have a local installation of apache-tomcat/solr. I would like to move it
> to remote server. In remote server i have installed new instance of apache
> tomcat, i have create new SOLR_HOME folder and i have copied my local
> solr_home content in. I have copied solr.war in webapps/ of tomcat, i
> modify in solrconfig.xml lib/ destination and configured in
> solr/WEB-INF/classes log4j.properties
>
> When i start tomcat, it stop deployment at
> [coreLoadExecutor-3-thread-1] INFO
>   org.apache.solr.core.CachingDirectoryFactory  – return new directory for
> /hosting/sviluppo/webapps/tomcat6/solr/contenutiweb/data/index
>
> in all log there isn't WARN, ERROR o SEVERE also INFO, but tomcat doesn't
> start

Solr 4.3 and later do logging differently than prior versions.  All
recent versions of Solr use SLF4J, which is just a framework that
ultimately binds to another logging method.  In 4.2.1 and earlier, Solr
used java.util.logging via slf4j, and the jars to do this were included
in the war file.

In 4.3 and later, the logging is left up to the admin, but the example
comes with a log4j setup.

You'll want to look at this:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Using_the_example_logging_setup_in_containers_other_than_Jetty

If you want the logging to be under tomcat's control rather than log4j,
this part may interest you:

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Switching_from_Log4J_back_to_JUL_.28java.util.logging.29

If you scroll to the top of that wiki page, you'll see information about
why this change was made.

Thanks,
Shawn