lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: when does RAMBufferSize work when commit.
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 13:08:58 GMT
On 8/22/2013 2:25 AM, YouPeng Yang wrote:
> Hi all
>     About the RAMBufferSize  and commit ,I have read the doc :
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.lucene.solr.user/60544
>
>    I can not figure out how do they make work.
>
>   Given the settings:
>
>  <ramBufferSizeMB>10</ramBufferSizeMB>
>  <autoCommit>
>        <maxTime>${solr.autoCommit.maxDocs:1000}</maxTime>
>        <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
>  </autoCommit>
>
>  If the indexs docs up to 1000  and the size of these docs is below 10MB
> ,it will trigger an commit.
>
>  If the size of the indexed docs reaches to 10MB while the the number is below
> 1000, it will not trigger an commit , however the index docs will just
> be flushed
> to disk,it will only commit when the number reaches to 1000?

Your actual config seems to have its wires crossed a little bit.  You
have the autoCommit.maxDocs value being used in a maxTime tag, not a
maxDocs tag.  You may want to adjust the variable name or the tag.

If that were a maxDocs tag instead of maxTime, your description would be
pretty much right on the money.  The space taken in the RAM buffer is
typically larger than the actual document size, but the general idea is
sound.

The default for RAMBufferSizeMB in recent Solr versions is 100.  Unless
you've got super small documents, or you are in a limited memory
situation and have a lot of cores, I would not go smaller than that.

Thanks,
Shawn