lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis.gospodne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Changing the number of shards?
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 23:01:32 GMT
Correct.
ES currently does not let you change the number of shards after you've
created an Index (Collection in SolrCloud).
It does not let you split shards either.  SolrCloud has an advantage
over ES around this at this point.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support -- http://sematext.com/
Performance Monitoring -- http://sematext.com/spm

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM, Jack Krupansky <jack@basetechnology.com> wrote:
> According to the ElasticSearch glossary, “You cannot change the number of primary shards
in an index, once the index is created.” Really? Is that true? (A “primary shard” is
what Solr calls a shard, or slice.)

> In other words, even though you can easily “add shards” on ES, those are really just
replicas of existing primary shards and cannot be new primary shards – if I understand that
statement correctly. Besides the simple fact that if a primary shard goes down, a non-primary
shard can be promoted to being a primary shard (“a replica shard can be promoted to a primary
shard if the primary fails.”)

> See:
> http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/reference/glossary/
>
> My understanding is that with Solr you can do things like split shards and change the
number of shards per node. Is this an advantage that ES does not offer?