lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>
Subject RE: Solr 3.6 optimize and field cache question
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 02:06:50 GMT
I'm 99% sure that the deleted docs will indeed use up space in the field cache, at least until
the segments that those documents are in are merged - that is what an optimize will do. Of
course, these segments will automatically be merged eventually, but it might take days for
this to happen, depending on how often your index is updated.

-Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshi, Shital [mailto:Shital.Joshi@gs.com]
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2013 6:12 PM
To: 'solr-user@lucene.apache.org'
Subject: Solr 3.6 optimize and field cache question

Hi,

We have Solr 3.6 set up with master and two slaves, each one with 70GB JVM. We run into java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
when we cross 250 million documents. Every time this happens we purge documents, bring it
below 200 million and bounce both slaves. We have facets  on 14 fields. We usually don't run
optimize after the purge. Will the deleted documents be part of field cache if we don't run
optimize after purge? Will I see difference in java heap memory utilization before and after
running optimize? I thought optimize only affects the disk space.

Thanks!