lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr cloud: zkHost in solr.xml gets wiped out
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:38:01 GMT
Al:

As it happens, I hope sometime today to put up a patch for SOLR-4910
that should harden up many things in persisting solr.xml, I'll be sure
to include this. It's kind of a pain to create an automated test for
this, so I'll give it a whirl manually.

As you say, most of this is going away in 5.0, but it needs to work for 4.x.

And when I get the patch up, if you could give it a "real world" try
it'd be great!

Thanks,
Erick

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Al Wold <alwold@alwold.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on setting up a solr cloud test environment, and the target environment I
need to put it in has multiple webapps per tomcat instance. With that in mind, I wanted/had
to avoid putting any configs in system properties. I tried putting the zkHost in solr.xml,
like this:

>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <solr persistent="true" sharedLib="lib" zkHost="10.116.249.136:2181">
>>   <!-- this 8080 might need to change in production -->
>>   <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" zkClientTimeout="20000" hostPort="8080" hostContext="/"/>
>> </solr>
>
> Everything works fine when I first start things up, create collections, upload docs,
search, etc. Creating the collection, however, modifies the solr.xml file, and doesn't keep
the zkHost setting:

>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
>> <solr persistent="true" sharedLib="lib">
>>   <cores adminPath="/admin/cores" zkClientTimeout="20000" hostPort="8080" hostContext="/">
>>     <core loadOnStartup="true" shard="shard2" instanceDir="directory_shard2_replica1/"
transient="false" name="directory_shard2_replica1" collection="directory"/>
>>     <core loadOnStartup="true" shard="shard1" instanceDir="directory_shard1_replica1/"
transient="false" name="directory_shard1_replica1" collection="directory"/>
>>   </cores>
>> </solr>
>

> With that in mind, once I restart tomcat, it no longer knows it's supposed to be talking
to zookeeper, so it looks for local configs and blows up.

> I traced this back to the code in CoreContainer.java, in the method persistFile(), where
it seems to contain no code to write out the zkHost when it updates solr.xml. I upped the
logging on my solr instance to verify this code is executing, so I'm pretty sure it's the
right spot.

> Is anyone else using zkHost in their solr.xml successfully? I can't see how it would
work given this problem.

> Does this seem like a bug? If so, I can probably file a report and submit a patch. It
seems like this problem may become a non-issue in 5.0, based on comments in the code and some
of the discussion in JIRA, but I'm not sure how far off that is.