lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: The book: Solr 4.x Deep Dive - Early Access Release #1
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 19:07:23 GMT
Pricing model is still up for grabs. For now, it's just $10 a shot. No fancy
plan or anything.

I don't expect most people to want an update every month, maybe a couple of
times a year. Or, basically, when some major change occurs, like I add
coverage of an area that wasn't covered before, like highlighting, spatial,
SolrCloud, etc.

For people who buy now, there probably won't be major functional changes
over the next month. Probably mostly a lot of cleanup, adding more examples,
etc. Or, maybe I do cover a couple more topics a month out. You can wait two
weeks for cleanup, but you won't be missing out on any functional
improvements if you buy today and skip the next rev in two weeks and then
buy an update in a month. Or buy now, get started, and then check out the
changes at the end of the summer.

Reminder to myself: I need to start a blog to alert people for changes as
they occur.

And this is just the initial stab at a "model".

"what is to prevent someone from purchasing just the last instalment?"

As I said in another response, there won't ever be a "last instalment". Solr
keeps changing. I'll keep adding examples and explanations even if the
feature/reference doesn't change. And I'll be adding more and more tutorial,
narrative, guidance to the whole book as time goes on.

And to be clear, at some point I would like to find a distribution system
that does support a true subscription model.

And... online access will happen at some point as well.

And... multi-volume print will happen at some point as well - buy only the
volumes you want.

-- Jack Krupansky