lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: A strange RemoteSolrException
Date Mon, 27 May 2013 14:27:53 GMT
Server at http://localhost:8983/solr returned non ok status:404

> The server is definitely running and the url works in the browser.
>
> I am working with Solr 4.3.0.

Hans,

To use SolrJ against the URL that you provided, you must have a
defaultCoreName attribute in solr.xml that points at a core that exists.
 The defaultCoreName used in the old-style solr.xml (4.3.1 and earlier)
is collection1.  The new-style solr.xml (4.4 and later, when released)
does not define a default core name.

A far safer option for any Solr client API is to use a base URL that
includes the name of the core.  If you are using SolrCloud, you can
optionally use the collection name instead.  This option will be
required for the new style solr.xml.  Here's the format:

http://server:port/solr/corename

In the UI, the cores that exist will be in a left-side dropdown that
says "Core Selector."  If you are using SolrCloud, you can click on the
Cloud option in the UI and then on Graph to see the collection names.
They will be on the left side of the graph.

NB: If you are using SolrCloud, it is better to use CloudSolrServer
instead of HttpSolrServer.

Thanks,
Shawn