lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Search MoreLikeThis ID into another collations
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 00:51:07 GMT
Oh, yes, definitely... you can certainly do it yourself.

It would be nice to have a request handler that did the document
"characterization", returning the most significant terms. Then the app could
simply send a request for that to the first collection and then turn it into
a query for the other collection.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Underwood
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:44 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Search MoreLikeThis ID into another collations

I know this can be done, because I did it in Ultraseek. It was the first
feature I wrote, probably around 1997.

Take the most significant terms from the document and turn them into a
query. You can use the tf-idf scores of the terms as weights. I tested my
queries (without weights) from Ultraseek against several WWW search engines
(we used to have a lot more of those). Two test documents that I remember
were the "Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus" newspaper column and a Kodak
Tri-X film datasheet. For there first, there are lots of copies on the
internet. For the second, there are (were) lots of similar 400 speed black
and white films. I was an Ilford man, myself.

It worked pretty well.

wunder