lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Timo Schmidt" <timo-schm...@gmx.net>
Subject Aw: Re: Support of field variants in solr
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 20:45:30 GMT
Ok, thanks for this hint i have two further questions to understand it completly.

Settingup custom request handler makes it easier to avoid all the mapping parameters in the
query but it
would also be possible with one request handler and all mapping in the request arguments right?

What about indexing, i there also a mechanism like this or should the application deside with
target field to use?

Gesendet: Dienstag, 23. April 2013 um 02:32 Uhr
Von: "Alexandre Rafalovitch" <arafalov@gmail.com>
An: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Support of field variants in solr
To route different languages, you could use different request handlers
and do different alias mapping. There are two alias mapping:
On the way in for eDisMax:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtendedDisMax#Field_aliasing_.2BAC8_renaming
On the way out: https://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#Field_alias[https://wiki.apache.org/solr/CommonQueryParameters#Field_alias]

Between the two, you can make sure that all searches to /searchES map
'content' field to 'content_es' and for /searchDE map 'content' to
'content_de'.

Hope this helps,
Alex.

Personal blog: http://blog.outerthoughts.com/[http://blog.outerthoughts.com/]
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandrerafalovitch[http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexandrerafalovitch]
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working. (Anonymous - via GTD
book)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Timo Schmidt <timo-schmidt@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi together,
>
> i am timo and work for a solr implementation company. During the last projects we came
to know that we need to be able to generate different variants of a document.

> Example 1 (Language):
>
> To handle all documents in one solr core, we need a field variant for each language.
>

> content for spanish content
>
> <field name="content" type="text_es" indexed="true" stored="true" variant=“es“
/>

> content for german content
>
> <field name="content" type="text_de" indexed="true" stored="true" variant=“de“
/>

> Each of these fields can be configured in the solr schema to act optimal for the specific
taget language.

> Example 2 (Stores):
>
> We have customers who want to sell the same product in different stores for different
prices.

> price in frankfurt
>
> <field name="price" type="sfloat" indexed="true" stored="true" variant=“fr“ />
>
> price in paris
>
> <field name="price" type="sfloat" indexed="true" stored="true" variant=“pr“ />
>
> To solve this in an optimal way it would be nice when this works complely transparent
inside solr by definig a „variantQuery“

> A select query could look like this:
>
> select?variantQuery=fr&qf=price,content
>
> Additional the following is possible. No variant is present, behavious should be as before,
so it should be relevant for all queries.

> The setting variant=“*“ would mean: There can be several wildcard variant defined
in a commited document. This makes sence when the data type would be the same for all variants
and you will have many variants (like in the price example).

> The same as during query time should be possible during indexing time.
>
> I know, that we can do somthing like this also with dynamic fields but then we need to
resolve the concrete fields during index and querytime on the application level, what is possible
but it would be nicer to have a concept like this in solr, also working with facets is easier
with this approach when the concrete fieldname does not need to be populated in the application.