lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Flow Chart of Solr
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 12:25:39 GMT
Sure, yes. But... it comes down to what level of detail you want and need
for a specific task. In other words, there are probably a dozen or more
levels of detail. The reality is that if you are going to work at the Solr
code level, that is very, very different than being a "user" of Solr, and at
that point your first step is to become familiar with the code itself.

When you talk about "parsing" and "stemming", you are really talking about
the user-level, not the Solr code level. Maybe what you really need is a
cheat sheet that maps a user-visible feature to the main Solr code component
for that implements that user feature.

There are a number of different forms of "parsing" in Solr - parsing of
what? Queries? Requests? Solr documents? Function queries?

Stemming? Well, in truth, Solr doesn't even do stemming - Lucene does that.
Lucene does all of the "token filtering". Are you asking for details on how
Lucene works? Maybe you meant to ask how "term analysis" works, which is
split between Solr and Lucene. Or maybe you simply wanted to know when and
where term analysis is done. Tell us your specific problem or specific
question and we can probably quickly give you an answer.

In truth, NOBODY uses "flow charts" anymore. Sure, there are some user-level
diagrams, but not down to the code level.

If you could focus on specific questions, we could give you specific
answers.

"Main steps"? That depends on what level you are working at. Tell us what
problem you are trying to solve and we can point you to the relevant areas.

In truth, if you become generally familiar with Solr at the user level
(study the wikis), you will already know what the "main steps" are.

So, it is not "main steps of Solr", but main steps of some specific
"request" of Solr, and for a specified level of detail, and for a specified
area of Solr if greater detail is needed. Be more specific, and then we can
be more specific.

For now, the general advice for people who need or want to go far beyond the
user level is to "get familiar with the code" - just LOOK at it - a lot of
the package and class names are OBVIOUS, really, and follow the class
hierarchy and code flow using the standard features of any modern Java IDE.
If you are wondering where to start for some specific user-level feature,
please ask specifically about that feature. But... make a diligent effort to
discover and learn on your own before asking open-ended questions.

Sure, there are lots of things in Lucene and Solr that are rather complex
and seemingly convoluted, and not obvious, but people are more than willing
to help you out if you simply ask a specific question. I mean, not everybody
needs to know the fine detail of query parsing, analysis, building a
Lucene-level stemmer, etc. If we tried to put all of that in a diagram, most
people would be more confused than enlightened.

At which step are scores calculated? That's more of a Lucene question. Or,
are you really asking what code in Solr invokes Lucene search methods that
calculate basic scores?

In short, you need to be more specific. Don't force us to guess what problem
you are trying to solve.

-- Jack Krupansky