lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Potter <thelabd...@gmail.com>
Subject CloudSolrServer and update requests
Date Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:28:49 GMT
Today is my day for conceptual questions ;-)

>From what I understand, CloudSolrServer is "smart" because it uses
cluster state information pulled from Zookeeper to send update
requests to leaders instead of replicas. This provides a slight
benefit in that the update request will land on the correct leader 1/S
times on avg. where S is the shard count, which is better than 1/N
where N is the total node count in the cluster. The benefit increases
as replication factor goes up.

My question is whether the document ID-based routing logic could be
done in CloudSolrServer too? It has the document ID right there in the
request and knows the hash-ranges of each shard (from Zk).

Any background information you can share on why routing is done on the
server-side and not in CloudSolrServer? I understand that it would
need to be done on the server too to support clients that don't have
CloudSolrServer, but seems like a nice optimization to be able to do
it on the client.

Thanks.
Tim