lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From J Mohamed Zahoor <zah...@indix.com>
Subject Re: CloudSolrServer vs ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer for indexing
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 16:43:28 GMT
It sure increased the performance .
Thanks for the input.

./zahoor

On 14-Apr-2013, at 10:13 PM, J Mohamed Zahoor <zahoor@indix.com> wrote:

> Thanks..
> Will try multithreading with CloudSolrServer.
>
> ./zahoor
>
> On 13-Apr-2013, at 9:11 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 13, 2013, at 11:07 AM, J Mohamed Zahoor <zahoor@indix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> This question has come up many times in the list with lots of variations (which
confuses me a lot).

>>> Iam using Solr 4.1. one collection , 6 shards, 6 machines.
>>> I am using CloudSolrServer  inside each mapper to index my documents…. While
it is working fine , iam trying to improve the indexing performance.

>>> Question is:
>>>
>>> 1) is CloudSolrServer multiThreaded?
>>
>> No. The proper fast way to use it is to start many threads that all add docs to the
same CloudSolrServer instance. In other words, currently, you must do the multi threading
yourself. CloudSolrServer is "thread safe".

>>> 2) Will using ConcurrentUpdateSolr server increase indexing performance?
>>
>> Yes, but at the cost of having to specify a server to talk to - if it goes down,
so does your indexing. It's also not very great at reporting errors. Finally, using multiple
threads and CloudSolrServer, you can approach the performance of ConcurrentUpdateSolr server.