lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Guido Medina <guido.med...@temetra.com>
Subject Re: Memory Impact of a New Core
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 11:25:18 GMT
I'm not an expert, but at some extent I think it will come down to few
factors:

  * How much data is been cached per core.
  * If memory is an issue and still you want performance, I/O with low
    cache could be an issue (SSDs?)
  * Soft commits which implies open searchers per soft commit (and per
    core) will depend on caches.

I do believe at the end it will be a direct result of your caching and
I/O. If all you care is performance, caching (memory) could be replaced
with faster I/O though soft commits will be fragile to memory due to its
nature (depends on caching/memory and low I/O usage)

Hope I made sense, I probably tried too many points of view in a single
idea.

Guido.