lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Tim Vaillancourt <...@elementspace.com>
Subject Re: Storing Solr Index on NFS
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:53:06 GMT
If centralization of storage is your goal by choosing NFS, iSCSI works
reasonably well with SOLR indexes, although good local-storage will
always be the overall winner.

I noticed a near 5% degredation in overall search performance (casual
testing, nothing scientific) when moving a 40-50GB indexes to iSCSI
(10GBe network) from a 4x7200rpm RAID 10 local SATA disk setup.

Tim

On 15/04/13 09:59 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:
> Solr 4.2 does have field compression which makes smaller indexes. That will reduce the
amount of network traffic. That probably does not help much, because I think the latency of
NFS is what causes problems.