lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: updateLog in Solr 4.2
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:42:44 GMT
On 4/12/2013 7:17 AM, vicky desai wrote:
> and solr fails to start . However if i add updatelog in my solrconfig.xml it
> starts. Is the update log parameter mandatory for solr4.2

You are using SolrCloud.  SolrCloud requires both updateLog and
replication to be enabled.  As you probably know, updateLog requires the
presence of a _version_ field, see the example schema for the full
definition of that field.

If you are using Solr without SolrCloud, these features are not
required.  The updateLog is recommended for all 4.x installs because
NRTCachingDirectoryFactory is now the default.  The way I understand it,
with that Directory implementation, part of an update may not be
persisted to disk even with a hard commit, so the updateLog is needed to
ensure the data won't be lost.

Thanks,
Shawn