lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Tim Vaillancourt <...@elementspace.com>
Subject Re: Basic auth on SolrCloud /admin/* calls
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:14:43 GMT
I've thought about this too, and have heard of some people running a
lightweight http proxy upstream of Solr.

With the right network restrictions (only way for a client to reach solr
is via a proxy + the nodes can still talk to each other), you could
achieve the same thing SOLR-4470 is doing, with the drawback of
additional proxy and firewall components to maintain, plus added
overhead on HTTP calls.

A benefit though is a lightweight proxy ahead of Solr could implement
HTTP caching, taking some load off of Solr.

In a perfect world, I'd say rolling out SOLR-4470 is the best solution,
but again, it seems to be losing momentum (please Vote/support the
discussion!). While proxies can achieve this, I think enough people have
pondered about this to implement this as a feature in Solr.

Tim