lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bernd Fehling <bernd.fehl...@uni-bielefeld.de>
Subject solr 4.2.1 and docValues
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 07:15:47 GMT
Hi list,

I want to try docValues for my facets and sorting with solr 4.2.1
and have already seen many papers, examples and source code about
and around docValues, but there are still some questions.

The example schema.xml has fields:
<field name="popularity" type="int" indexed="true" stored="true" />
<field name="manu_exact" type="string" indexed="true" stored="false"/>

and it has a comment for docValues:
<!--
Some fields such as popularity and manu_exact could be modified to
leverage doc values:
<field name="popularity" type="int" indexed="true" stored="true" docValues="true" default="0"
/>
<field name="manu_exact" type="string" indexed="false" stored="false" docValues="true"
default="" />
-->

For popularity with docValues indexed and stored are true and default is "0".
For manu_exact with docValues indexed and stored are false and default is an empty string.

Questions:
- if docValues is true will this replace indexed=true as for field manu_exact?

- what is the advantage of having indexed=true and docvalues=true?

- what if default="" also for the popularity int field?

Regards
Bernd