lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From J Mohamed Zahoor <zah...@indix.com>
Subject Re: CloudSolrServer vs ConcurrentUpdateSolrServer for indexing
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:43:15 GMT
Thanks..
Will try multithreading with CloudSolrServer.

./zahoor

On 13-Apr-2013, at 9:11 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2013, at 11:07 AM, J Mohamed Zahoor <zahoor@indix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> This question has come up many times in the list with lots of variations (which confuses
me a lot).

>> Iam using Solr 4.1. one collection , 6 shards, 6 machines.
>> I am using CloudSolrServer  inside each mapper to index my documents…. While it
is working fine , iam trying to improve the indexing performance.

>> Question is:
>>
>> 1) is CloudSolrServer multiThreaded?
>
> No. The proper fast way to use it is to start many threads that all add docs to the same
CloudSolrServer instance. In other words, currently, you must do the multi threading yourself.
CloudSolrServer is "thread safe".

>> 2) Will using ConcurrentUpdateSolr server increase indexing performance?
>
> Yes, but at the cost of having to specify a server to talk to - if it goes down, so does
your indexing. It's also not very great at reporting errors. Finally, using multiple threads
and CloudSolrServer, you can approach the performance of ConcurrentUpdateSolr server.