lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Number of segments
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 13:41:04 GMT
On Mon, Apr 8, 2013, at 02:35 PM, Michael Long wrote:
> I'm running solr 4.0. I'm noticing my segments are staying in the 30+
> range, even though I have these settings:
>
> <indexConfig>
> <mergePolicy class="org.apache.lucene.index.TieredMergePolicy">
>      <int name="segmentsPerTier">10</int>
>      <int name="maxMergeAtOnce">10</int>
>      <int name="maxMergeAtOnceExplicit">10</int>
> </mergePolicy>
> <useCompoundFile>false</useCompoundFile>
>
> Can anyone give me some advice on what I should change or check?

How many documents do you have? How big are the files on disk?

Note it says "segments per tier", you may have multiple tiers at play
meaning you can have more than ten segments.

There's also, I believe, properties that define the maximum size on disk
for a segment and the like that can prevent merges from happening.

Upayavira