lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Per Steffensen <st...@designware.dk>
Subject Re: Sort-field for ALL docs in FieldCache for sort queries -> OOM on lots of docs
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:05:06 GMT
On 3/21/13 10:52 AM, Toke Eskildsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 09:57 +0100, Per Steffensen wrote:
>> Thanks Toke! Can you please elaborate a little bit? How to use it? What
>> it is supposed to do for you?
> Sorry, no, I only know about it on the abstract level. The release notes
> for Solr 4.2 says
>
> * DocValues have been integrated into Solr. DocValues can be loaded up a
> lot faster than the field cache and can also use different compression
> algorithms as well as in RAM or on Disk representations. Faceting,
> sorting, and function queries all get to benefit. How about the OS
> handling faceting and sorting caches off heap? No more tuning 60
> gigabyte heaps? How about a snappy new per segment DocValues faceting
> method? Improved numeric faceting? Sweet.
>
> Spending 5 minutes searching on how to activate the new powers did not
> get me much; my Google-fu is clearly not strong enough. The example
> schema shows that docValues="true" is a valid attribute for "StrField,
> UUIDField and all Trie*Fields", but I do not know if they are used
> automatically by sort or if they should be requested explicitly.
>
> Regards,
> Toke Eskildsen

Thanks again, Toke!

Can anyone else elaborate? How to "activate" it? How to make sure, for
sorting, that sort-field-value for all docs are not read into memory for
sorting - leading to OOM when you have a lot of docs? Can this feature
be activated on top of an existing 4.0 index, or do you have to re-index
everything?

Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Regards, Per Steffensen