lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Gora Mohanty <g...@mimirtech.com>
Subject Re: configuring schema to match database
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:14:52 GMT
On 11 January 2013 22:30, Jens Grivolla <j+asf@grivolla.net> wrote:
[...]
> Actually, that is what you would get when doing a join in an RDBMS, the cross-product
of your tables. This is NOT AT ALL what you typically do in Solr.

> Best start the other way around, think of Solr as a retrieval system, not a storage system.
What are your queries? What do you want to find, and what criteria do you use to search for
it?
[...]

Um, he did describe his desired queries, and there was a reason
that I proposed the above schema design.

> > UserA has taken courseA, courseB and courseC and has writingskill
> > good verbalskill good for english and writingskill excellent
> > verbalskill excellent for spanish UserB has taken courseA, courseF,
> > courseG and courseH and has writingskill fluent verbalskill fluent
> > for english and writingskill good verbalskill good for italian

Unless the index is becoming huge, I feel that it is better to
flatten everything out rather than combine fields, and
post-process the results.

Regards,
Gora