lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Phil Hoy <p...@brightsolid.com>
Subject Solr load balancer
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:41:28 GMT
Hi,

I would like to experiment with some custom load balancers to help with query latency in the
face of long gc pauses and the odd time-consuming query that we need to be able to support.
At the moment setting the socket timeout via the HttpShardHandlerFactory does help, but of
course it can only be set to a length of time as long as the most time consuming query we
are likely to receive.

For example perhaps a load balancer that sends multiple queries concurrently to all/some replicas
and only keeps the first response might be effective. Or maybe a load balancer which takes
account of the frequency of timeouts would be able to recognize zombies more effectively.

To use alternative load balancer implementations cleanly and without having to hack solr directly,
I would need to be able to make the existing LBHttpSolrServer and HttpShardHandlerFactory
more amenable to extension, I can then override the default load balancer using solr's plugin
mechanism.

So my question is, if I made a patch to make the load balancer more pluggable, is this something
that would be acceptable and if so what do I do next?

Phil

"brightsolid" is used in this email to collectively mean brightsolid online innovation limited
and its subsidiary companies brightsolid online publishing limited and brightsolid online
technology limited.
findmypast.co.uk is a brand of brightsolid online publishing limited.
brightsolid online innovation limited, Gateway House, Luna Place, Dundee Technology Park,
Dundee DD2 1TP.  Registered in Scotland No. SC274983.
brightsolid online publishing limited, The Glebe, 6 Chapel Place, Rivington Street, London
EC2A 3DQ. Registered in England No. 04369607.
brightsolid online technology limited, Gateway House, Luna Place, Dundee Technology Park,
Dundee DD2 1TP.  Registered in Scotland No. SC161678.

Email Disclaimer

This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. You should not disclose
its contents to any other person. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender named above immediately. It is expressly declared that this e-mail does not constitute
nor form part of a contract or unilateral obligation. Opinions, conclusions and other information
in this message that do not relate to the official business of brightsolid shall be understood
as neither given nor endorsed by it.
This email has been scanned by the brightsolid Email Security System. Powered by MessageLabs