lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Questions about boosting
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 06:31:26 GMT
I did try the bq parameter.  Either I'm not using it correctly, or it's
not making a noticeable difference.  I was not able to find any good
docs, either.  Can you give me complete instructions in its use?  Can I
control the boost factor?  Is the boost additive or multiplicative?

For query elevation, don't you have to know in advance the query that a
user will send?  There's no way for me to know this - we want to be able
to apply the boost to arbitrary queries.

The source data comes from MySQL, and this is a seven-shard distributed
index with 74075200 documents as of a few minutes ago.  Although
ExternalFileField probably wouldn't be impossible, it is rather impractical.

Thanks,
Shawn

> Have you tried boost query?  bq=provider:fred
>
> wunder
>
> On Jan 17, 2013, at 9:08 PM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
>
>> Start with "Query Elevation" and see if that helps:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/QueryElevationComponent
>>
>> Index-time document boost is a possibility.
>>
>> Maybe an ExternalFileField where every document could have a dynamic boost value
that you add with a boost function.