lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: is there an easy way to upgrade from Solr 4 alpha to 4.0 final?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:42:31 GMT
On 1/8/2013 2:27 PM, eShard wrote:
> I just found out I must upgrade to Solr 4.0 final (from 4.0 alpha)
> I'm currently running Solr 4.0 alpha on Tomcat 7.
> Is there an easy way to surgically replace files and upgrade?
> Or should I completely start over with a fresh install?
> Ideally, I'm looking for a set of steps...
> Thanks,

For the most part, you should be able to just replace your .war file,
erase the tomcat deployment directory (where it extracted any war
files), and restart tomcat.  If you used any additional jar files from
the Lucene/Solr distribution (dataimport handler, additional analyzers,
etc., and any dependent jars) then you would have to also delete the old
versions and copy the new versions.

If you have custom Lucene/Solr components, that is where you're most
likely to run into trouble.  There were a number of internal Java API
changes from alpha to beta to release that might affect those.

It's possible, but not super likely, that you might need to make config
changes.  From what I've seen, the basics were mostly unchanged from
ALPHA to release.  There should be a list of things that changed in
CHANGES.txt that you can peruse for items that might affect your config.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway: You should have
enough redundancy so that you won't be down even if the upgrade goes
badly on your secondary server(s), and you should also have good backups
of *everything*, including your index files.

Thanks,
Shawn