lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: does Solr support CGI?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 03:04:15 GMT

: I am a little confused about what exactly a CGI is. According to my
: understanding, Common gateway interface tells the webserver how to pass
: data back and forth to and from an application. user (client) requests for
: a page---->webserver (CGI)----> server side program (may be Solr). Could
: you please tell me in details what exactly a CGI and why Solr cannot
: support it?

CGI means diff things to diff people.

At it's core, CGI was the early foundation of the basic principles for how
browsers should encode form data in order to communicate that data to a
server, either in the URL, or in the HTTP request body -- this is what
eventually became "application/x-www-url-form-encoded"

Confusingly in the early days of CGI, it also defined a general mechansim
for HTTP servers to execute forked processes per request, and how to
convey to those processes information about the request via process
ENVIRONMENT variables (not just the encoded "CGI request params" but also
info about the HTTP headers) and how to interpret the STDOUT/STDERR of the
forked as http headers & response content to send back to the client.

As a java webapp, solr most certianly "supports CGI" in the first ocntext
-- you can see that plainly in the examples of any sort of Solr request URL.

Solr does not "support CGI" in the second context, because Solr runs as
java webapp, not a forked process.

Your questions smells fishy however, particularly since you asked "if Solr
support CGI" and then stated "I am a little confused about what exactly a
CGI is" ... if you don't know what it is, then why are you asking about
it?

what is your actual goal?

https://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
XY Problem

Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341

-Hoss