lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>
Subject Occasional "failed to respond" errors
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 03:59:18 GMT
We have a longstanding issue with "failed to respond" errors in Solr when our coordinator is
querying our Solr shards.

To elaborate further...  we're using the built-in distributed capabilities of Solr 3.6, and
using Jetty as our server.  Occasionally, we will have a query fail due to an error like "org.apache.commons.httpclient.NoHttpResponseException:
The server solr-shard-13 failed to respond" when the Solr coordinator is sending a request
to one of its shards.  Over the long term, this happens for about 1 out of 3000 queries.
The quick fix of simply retrying the query when such an intermittent error occurs works fine,
but I'm trying to figure out what the root cause might be.

I've got lots of theories and possible fixes, but was hoping someone had run into this before
and knows the answer straight away :)

-Michael