lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi.g...@gmail.com>
Subject Highlighting and storage overhead
Date Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:54:28 GMT
Hi, we're using Solr 3.6 to index and search a number of entities. The
entities have a large number of fields and to enable full text search
across all the fields I created a catch-all text field which is indexed.

Initially I stored the field allowing me to highlight the matching fragment
in the catch all field

However, the field is generally very large and was leading to poor
performance. As a result we no longer store it and thus cannot do
highlighting.

My questions are:

1) Is it preferable to have such a catch all field that collapses multiple
fields? Or is it better to have fields separate and use the DisMax parser?

2) Must fields be stored to support highlighting? If so, what is good
practice when one has many fields and would like to include them all when
running a query *and* support highlighting?

Any pointers would be appreciated

--
Rajarshi Guha | http://blog.rguha.net
NIH Center for Advancing Translational Science