lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Pls help: Very long query - what to do?
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2012 17:02:16 GMT
On 11/21/2012 8:53 AM, Luis Cappa Banda wrote:
> Do not forget to increase maxBooleanClauses.

I believe this is the culprit right here.  I counted 1576 instances of
"OR" in the long query, which is rather a lot higher than the default
maxBooleanClauses value of 1024.

I think that the maxBooleanClauses parameter (and its default) exist for
good reason, probably to reduce the likelihood of resource exhaustion.
It can't scale to many thousands or millions of clauses.

If possible, it would be a good idea to redesign so you can stay lower
than 1024.  I construct a query like this when I do document deletes,
and I limit it to 512 records at a time.If you can't redesign, be aware
that you won't be able to scale indefinitely, even if you change
maxBooleanClauses.

Thanks,
Shawn