lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Muwonge Ronald <ssed...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best and quickest Solr Search Front end
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:06:06 GMT
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ronny -
>
> Your best bets will be to engage the Blacklight team at their mailing list or in the
#blacklight IRC room, both of which are active every day.
Thanks will do that

> The links in your search UI will need to be adjusted, as Rails doesn't like having the
URL formatted id's as part of the path - this is something I've ended up customizing when
I've demo'd Blacklight with a non-library data set that had URLs for id's (but I don't recall
how I customized it exactly, but basically overrode how the document URLs are formed to put
the id in a query string parameter).

> You did get results though!   Press search :)
Now when I did press search I get something but why don't I get a
single result when I search for something :-).FUNNY hahah I can afford
a smile at least

 You're just not showing any initial facets, but that's a config option.

> What University do you work for?   I don't know whether you meant to imply Hull below
or not, but Hull is using Blacklight within their Hydra project among others.

Well am in Africa Uganda International University of East Africa
>         Erik
>

> On Oct 23, 2012, at 08:46 , Muwonge Ronald wrote:
>
>> Yes this was the person I wanted to befriend Eric good to hear from
>> you.I won't hide anything am working a search engine for particular
>> content.I crawled some data  with nutch and indexed to solr.I have
>> been in search of a good solution and when reading the
>> Apache_Solr_3_Enterprise_Search_Server i fell in love with Blacklight
>> (nice name) I wend ahead and here iam.
>>
>> http://waatu.com:3001
>>
>> These will be the fields I need, URL,content,Title  something like
>> fields used by google,bing etc.What would yo advise tried to follow
>> this page https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/wiki/How-to-configure-Blacklight-to-talk-to-your-(pre-existing)-Solr-index
>> but failed to get results form my solr index ;-(
>> .
>> By the way I like it's use at those universities and will introduce it
>> at the University I work soon thanks for job
>> https://hydra.hull.ac.uk/
>> IF all goes well wait for my donation ;-)
>> Regards
>> Ronny
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Further on that.... in recent versions of Solr, it's /browse, not the sillier
/itas handler name.

>>> As far as the "best" search front end, it's such an opinionated answer here.
 It all really depends on what technologies you'd like to deploy.  The library world has created
two nice front-ends that are more or less general purpose enough to use for other (non-library)
schemas, with a bit of configuration.  There's Blacklight (Ruby on Rails) and VuFind (PHP).
 As the initial creator of Blacklight, I'll toss in my vote for that one as the best :)  But
again, it depends on many factors what's the Right choice for your environment.

many examples of it deployed in production here: <https://github.com/projectblacklight/blacklight/wiki/Examples>