lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SolrCloud - distributed architecture considerations
Date Sun, 14 Oct 2012 18:28:40 GMT
On 10/14/2012 11:16 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> No, that's not what I'm thinking at all. There would be _no_
> replication configured. You'd just have two completely independent
> installations, one in each of your separate locations. The only
> communication path would be that somehow the original documents
> would need to get to both locations for indexing.

When I was on 1.4.1, I had replication set up.  Because replicating
between 3.2.0 and 1.4.1 was not possible due to the javabin update, I
changed over to this exact model, even though the servers are right next
to each other in the racks.  Now I am on 3.5.0 and testing an update to
branch_4x.  At this time I have no plans to change my distributed setup
to SolrCloud.  One day I might go to two separate single-stranded
SolrCloud setups in order to simplify my indexing code.  Our query
volume is not high enough to require more than one online server chain.
The only reason I have two chains is for high availability.

You might wonder why I would not take advantage of SolrCloud's automated
replication.  I have simply found too much value in having two
independently updated copies of my distributed index.  I wrote my
indexing code such that it can actually update/reindex any arbitrary
number of completely independent index chains.

When we want to make changes to our config/schema, I have a dev server
where I can do almost all of the testing required, but that server is
not big enough to hold the entire index.  Because I have independent
production indexes, I can make the proposed changes on the B chain,
reindex, and test against the full index in a staging environment
without affecting the actual production site.  When it is time to roll
changes into production, Solr's built-in enable/disable lets me switch
the load balancer back and forth between the two indexes with one
click.  If it works, I can then update chain A the same way.

Thanks,
Shawn