lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unexpected results in Solr 4 Pivot Faceting
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:26:24 GMT
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik.hatcher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to be clear, as I'm not logged onto the dev server at the moment
>> but it was implied in an earlier mail: Any field that is to be pivoted
>> on needs to be a string field? Is that documented, as I cannot find
>> that in the docs.
>
> No, it doesn't need to be a string field.... but whatever terms come out of the analysis
process are what gets faceted upon.  If it was a "text" field, each word in the field would
be a facet value.  A "trie" field probably doesn't work properly, as it indexes multiple terms
per value and you'd get odd values.   Pivot faceting was initially implemented only with textual
terms in mind, and string is generally the desired type.

Thanks for the insight. I'll see how much time for experimentation I
might afford.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il