lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Della Bitta <michael.della.bi...@appinions.com>
Subject Re: Solr makes long requests about once a minute
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:53:15 GMT
Hi, Andy,

What version of Solr are you running and what Directory implementation
are you using? How much RAM does your system have, and how much is
available for use by Solr?

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions | 18 East 41st St., Suite 1806 | New York, NY 10017
www.appinions.com
Where Influence Isn’t a Game

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Andy Lester <andy@petdance.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem with Solr under Tomcat unexpectedly taking a long time to respond
to queries.  As part of some stress testing, I wrote a bot that just does random word searches
on my Solr install, and my responses typically come back in 10-50 ms.  The queries are just
1-3 random words from /usr/share/dict/words, and I cap off the results at 2500 hits.

> The queries run just fine and I typically get responses up to 50ms for large result sets.
 Here's an example of my log:

> TIME     HITS   MS SEARCH WORDS
> 12:33:20    1    5 hoovey Aruru kwachas
> 12:33:20    8    5 blinis twyver
> 12:33:20 2500   34 prework burlily sunshine
> 12:33:20 1928   30 rendu Solly
> 12:33:20           unnethe
> 12:33:20           gadwell afterpeak
> 12:33:20  792   14 steen
> 12:33:20    4    7 blanchi repaving
> 12:33:20   32    6 torbanite Storz ungag
> 12:33:20    7    5 chemostat
> 12:33:20   15    6 Guauaenok Adao lakist
> 12:33:20    6    6 bechance viny
> 12:33:20   20    6 chagigah
> 12:33:22  532 2404 bonne
> 12:33:22  143    9 nonman Norrie
> 12:33:22   24    6 repealers
> 12:33:22           Pfosi laniard locutory
> 12:33:22   51    6 sexipolar wordsmith enshield
> 12:33:22           loggiest Aryanise koels
> 12:33:22           fogyish unforcing
> 12:33:22    4    5 Millvale chokies
> 12:33:22    5    6 Melfa ripal Olva
> 12:33:22   15    6 apio Heraea latimeria
> 12:33:22    4    5 nonnitric parleying
>
> See that one line where it 2404ms to return?  I get those about once a minute, but not
at a regular interval.  I ran this for two hours and got 122 spikes in 120 minutes.  I ran
it overnight and came in to work to find that there were 1283 spikes in 1260 minutes.  So
that one-a-minute is a pattern.

> As I write this, I'm in IRC with Chris Hostetter and he says:
>
> --snip--
> Probably need to tweak your garbage collector settings to something that doesn't involve
"stop the world" ... the specifics of the changes largely depend on what JVM you are using,
what options you already have set, etc.  markrmiller wrote a good blog about this a little
while back: http://searchhub.org/dev/2011/03/27/garbage-collection-bootcamp-1-0/  There's
also some notes here in the LucidWorks Solr Ref Guide: http://lucidworks.lucidimagination.com/display/solr/JVM+Settings
> --snip--
>
> GC certainly sounds like a reasonable suspect.  Any other suggestions?  Any hints on
Solr-specific GC tuning?  I'm currently scouring Google.