lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jon Drukman <jdruk...@gmail.com>
Subject Running out of memory
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:48:11 GMT
Hi there.  I am running Solr 1.4.1 on an Amazon EC2 box with 7.5GB of RAM.
 It was set up about 18 months ago and has been largely trouble-free.
 Unfortunately, lately it has started to run out of memory pretty much
every day.  We are seeing

SEVERE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

When that happens, a simple query like
"http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=*:*'"
returns nothing.

I am starting Solr with the following:

/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin/java -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -Xms1G -Xmx5G -jar
start.jar

It would be vastly preferable if Solr could just exit when it gets a memory
error, because we have it running under daemontools, and that would cause
an automatic restart.  After restarting, Solr works fine for another 12-18
hours.  Not ideal but at least it wouldn't require human intervention to
get it going again.

What can I do to reduce the memory pressure?  Does Solr require the entire
index to fit in memory at all times?  The on disk size is 15GB.  There are
27.5 million documents, but they are all tiny (mostly one line forum
comments like "this game is awesome").

We're using Sun openJava SDK 1.6 if that matters.

-jsd-