lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bing Hua <bh...@cornell.edu>
Subject Tlog vs. buffer + softcommit.
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2012 21:39:18 GMT
Hello,

I'm a bit confused with the purpose of Transaction Logs (Update Logs) in
Solr.

My understanding is, update request comes in, first the new item is put in
RAM buffer as well as T-Log. After a soft commit happens, the new item
becomes searchable but not hard committed in stable storage. Configuring
soft commit interval to 1 sec achieves NRT.

Then what exactly T-Log is doing in this scenario? Why is it there and under
what circumstances is it being cleared?

I tried to search for online documentations but no success. Trying to get
something from source code. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bing